Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Host Family Experience – Part Two (Sunday)





























I was not sure how today could be better than yesterday…but our hosts continued to roll out the red carpet and today was my favorite day in Thailand so far!

After saying good-bye to the Musikasong family, Alex and I were dropped off at the Varapark home. After eating breakfast and playing with their huge, weighted hula-hoop (I want to find one) we boarded a large van and made our way to Ayutthaya, a place I really wanted to visit, but was not on our itinerary. I was thrilled!

Ayutthaya is the former capitol of Thailand, the capitol was moved to the current location in Bangkok. It was the religious, cultural, social and political center of Thailand, known as Siam, 1351 to 1767. We had the opportunity to see the Ancient City ruins, many incredible Buddha statues, including the dressing of a giant Buddha, beautiful Stupas, people riding elephants, and another excellent marketplace. It was stunning to our group that we were able to climb up some of the ruin steps, which gave us a spectacular view of the Ancient City.

After several hours exploring the ruins and temples, we made our way to another unbelievably scrumptious meal next to the river. The food was delicious, the view was stunning, and the company was unmatchable.

Following lunch, we went to the Bang sai Arts and Crafts Centre, which is a place created with help from the Queen. The purpose was to create a central place to sell handmade arts and crafts from around Thailand, arranged into four areas for the four directions away from Bangkok. We ended the day by taking pictures by the river, which is simply beautiful.

The incredible generosity of my hosts will not be forgotten, and I cannot tell you what a wonderful experience it was for me. The smile I have from today’s fun will last for many days to come, as it was, quite simple, a perfect day.

I am hoping that life will bring us together in the future, which is a possibility, since the Varapark’s daughter will be staying in Michigan as a foreign exchange student this upcoming school year, and I hope she takes me up on my offer to host her for a few days in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment