Sunday, June 19, 2011

Food #1 (because I know I will be posting more about food)

I never thought I was a picky eater, since I knew what I liked; string cheese, dill pickles, mac and cheese, Easter peeps, grilled cheese sandwiches…these were the way to my heart. Actually, I won’t lie, cheese will still get you pretty far in my book, and I honestly believe I could happily exist on only cheese for the rest of my life-until my arteries finally give out. The last few years, however, I’ve ventured outside of my comfort zone where food has been concerned and have been rewarded for my willingness.

The food in Thailand has been incredible—and plentiful. When we are traveling as a large group the meals are planned for us, usually consisting of many courses. I’ve tried many versions of Tom Yum soup, each of which has me yearning for more. I am hoping that the preparation of this soup will be included in tomorrow’s cooking class, since the recipe I saw today leads me to believe that some instruction will be necessary in order to get it “right.” Tonight I had Pad Thai for dinner, and the noodles were wrapped in an egg omelet. My mom would have loved it, since Pad Thai is her favorite Thai dish! It is pictured in this post.

I am going to continue trying new foods while I am here. I was told my P’Poon we will not be served dog while in Thailand, “because it is too expensive.” However, the markets in Vietnam might have dog, as well as fried worms and deep fried scorpion. Everybody has limits, and I am positive that deep fried scorpion surpasses mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment