Saturday, July 9, 2011

What can you get for a dollar?






This afternoon our group was given free time, starting at around 2pm. This is the first day in about a month that we got to make decisions concerning such a large chunk of time. So, what kind of afternoon can a person have in Hue’?

First, I spent a few hours at the pool, since the morning was, once again, about 100 degrees and 90% humidity. The pool felt heavenly, and, thanks to Harmony, I am reading a fantastic book.

Then, I spent a little time walking around Hue’. I hired a biker to take me across the bridge and to the market, which was slightly terrifying with the motorbikes and cars coming right at me. After strolling through the market I walked back across the bridge to meet a group for dinner.

From the hotel (which is the historic, charming and beautiful Hotel Saigon Morin), we only had to walk across the street to attend a food festival right next to the river. I had a fantastic meal for about $4.00, consisting of deep fried sticky rice, pork skewers, banana sticky rice, and a local beer.

After eating, we walked along the river and we were offered a half hour boat ride down the river for $1.00 each, which is about the most fun you can imagine for the cheapest price! It was peaceful and beautiful-about the best way to end an amazing night.

Tomorrow we are off to another city…I have to admit, as much traveling as we have been doing there are very few things I miss from home, and it is going to be a hard adjustment going back to the U.S. next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment