Thursday, July 7, 2011

First Impressions


I’ve been in Vietnam for only about 11 hours, and I have already made some significant observations. It should be noted that this is my first time in a Communist country, and I am very interested in hearing more about how things “work” in Vietnam. So far, we visited both the United States and Thai embassies for courtesy visits, ate two delicious meals, and attended a water puppet show. We also checked into, yet another, wonderful hotel, where I have a great view of Hanoi, a city that is over 1000 years old (which makes the United States’ recent 235th birthday less lengthy).

During our State Department briefing we were informed about Vietnam’s internet censorship and lack of journalistic freedoms, including Vietnam being one of only five countries in which Facebook is not available (although I am not clear of the other four). I am not going to get into specifics, due to the instructions we were given, but I am not sure I will be allowed to post blog entries while I am in Vietnam, which is a major bummer. I might be able to do some more basic blogs...

I will continue to write my posts on word while here, and I will plan to post when I return in Bangkok next week. If it becomes possible for me to post more information or if it seems that some information would be acceptable I will do so.

Otherwise, no news is good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment