Thursday, July 7, 2011

Crossing the street in Vietnam

Crossing a street in Vietnam is terrifying. In my unscientific estimate, there are between 7-9 motorcycles for each car. This results in a mad rush of motorcycles coming at you, without lanes, in a horrifically unorganized manner. We were instructed, multiple times, by a man with a worried expression, to continue walking; do not stop, do not back up, and do not run.

When first given the instructions, I remember nodding and thinking “I can do that.” The reality of actually not stopping, backing up, or running while an entire street filled with motorcycles are all frantically honking and weaving around you is much, much more difficult.

It is a little easier if our entire group is walking together, even though it seems to really annoy the motorcyclists. If I have to cross alone, however, I try to find an old person and pace myself next them…which works okay. I’ve also closed my eyes a few times...

1 comment: